I made this gluten-free vegan lemon loaf for our Mother’s Day brunch a couple of weeks ago. I promised I’d share the recipe, so here it is!
I shared a photo of this gluten-free vegan lemon loaf in my stories on Mother’s Day and I got some requests to share the recipe. I was trying to make our brunch completely plant-based and as gluten-free as possible to meet everyone’s dietary needs, so I kind of experimented with the recipe for this. It turned out so well though! Unfortunately, I just grabbed a couple of quick phone photos before we sliced it all up and ate it, but I thought I’d go ahead and share anyway since it was such a good one! I was a bit ambitious so this loaf is a little bit special. It has a bit of a coffee cake texture to it, a crumbly topping, and a glaze as well. I think just the plain loaf would be great on its own without all the extra toppings, but all the extra fanciness did help to make it feel just right for a celebration.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Plant-Based Gluten-Free Lemon Loaf
- Gluten-free flour blend (I used this one)
- Plant-based butter substitute
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Plant-based vanilla yogurt (I used an almond-based yogurt)
- Plant-based egg substitute
- Confectioner’s sugar (for the glaze)
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (for the crumbly topping)
How to Assemble the Lemon Loaf
Start out by lining the bottom of a large loaf pan with parchment, then spray with baking spray. Combine all your dry ingredients, combine your sugar and your wet ingredients, then mix them together, just like you would with almost any other loaf. I should note that when Kennedy added a slice to her plate she said “What, no poppyseeds?”, so definitely feel free to stir some of those in before you pour your batter into the loaf pan.
Mix all your topping ingredients together and sprinkle over top before baking so you can end up with a nice crispy, toasty topping.
Allow your loaf to cool slightly, drizzle with the glaze, then pop it out of the loaf pan to slice. I found that this lemon loaf was best on the first and second day, but wasn’t as good when I had the last little bit on the third day, so eat it fairly quickly and freeze whatever you have left for later enjoyment. The loaf pan I used is my new ruffled ceramic loaf pan! Isn’t it a thing of beauty? 🙂
Here’s the full printable recipe!
This is the perfect lemony treat for anytime, for almost anyone. Here's the recipe for my new favorite gluten-free vegan lemon loaf.
- 2 1/4 cup Gluten-free flour substitute (such as Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1)
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 cup Plant-based butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2/3 cup Plant-based vanilla yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Grated lemon peel (from about 2 lemons)
- 2 tsp Plant-based egg substitute (and the water to activate it, according to package instructions)
- 2 tbsp sugar (for the topping)
- 3 tbsp Gluten-free flour (for the topping)
- 3 tbsp Unsweetened shredded coconut (for the topping)
- 1-2 tbsp Plant-based butter (for the topping)
- 1/2 cup Confectioner's sugar (for the glaze)
- 1-2 tbsp Plant-based milk (for the glaze)
Prepare a loaf dish by lining the bottom with parchment paper and spraying the sides with non-stick spray.
In a small bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar for the batter. Add the prepared egg substitute, lemon juice, lemon peel and yogurt and stir until combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the loaf dish and sprinkle with the topping mixture.
Bake for 60-75 minutes at 350°, or until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly.
Combine the confectioner's sugar and milk in a small bowl to make a glaze. Drizzle the loaf with the glaze, slice, and enjoy!
MORE IDEAS LIKE THIS
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cornbread Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Date Fudge
- Easy Plant-Based Rice Krispie Treats
- Plant-Based Crustless Chocolate Pie
- Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce (Plant-Based and Gluten-Free)
- The Creek Line House Dessert Recipe Archives
This post contains affiliate links.