Fun on the farm
1. Apple picking – No Fall season is complete without a trip to the apple farm.
2. Pumpkin patch – It’s never fun dragging a lopsided pumpkin home from the supermarket along with the milk, bread and TP. Why not get out and kick off the Halloween season with a trip to the pumpkin patch?
3. Bake a pumpkin or apple pie – Once you’ve stocked up on apples and pumpkins, settle into the kitchen and bake a pie.
4. Make caramel apples – Save a couple apples to dip in creamy, warm caramel.
5. Paint pumpkins – Of course, in all the excitement, you may have brought home a few too many pumpkins. Dress a couple up with some paints.
6. Farmer’s market – Find your local farmer’s market and enjoy some Fall fruits and vegetables
7. Corn maize – Get lost in a corn maize!
8. Fall fair – Nothing says Fall like the Fall fair. Don’t forget to drag the kids away from the midway rides for a (smelly) stroll through the animal barns.
Beautify your surroundings
9. Decorate the front porch – The funnest, easiest and often messiest (in a good way) decor project. A bale of hay, a colorful mum and any knick knacks you picked up at the farmer’s market make for a great Fall front door.
10. Plant bulbs for next Spring – You’ll thank yourself in the Spring for this one.
11. Organize the Fall wardrobe – Rather than scramble for a sweater after it cools down. Spend an afternoon digging out and sorting through the cozy clothing. Feel free to update.
12. Fall crafts – Check out our top 10 crafts for adults then indulge with the classics for the kids.
13. Go for a walk down a country road – Hop in the car, head out of town and find a nice dusty road, jump out and take a stroll. Any road will do, just enjoy the colors of the leaves and the browning crops.
14. Family/neighborhood soccer match – Those of us in North America have a habit of packing in the soccer ball when the calendar flips over to September. Break that habit, head to the park and get a open game going. Invite everyone you see to join in. The rest of the world needs no encouragement.
15. Go for a jog – Fall is great time to pick up jogging. Set a 5k, 10k, half or full marathon goal or just have fun. The kids can participate too.
16. Exercise outside – Whether it’s yoga on the park or Tai chi in the square, cool fall weather makes any structured exercise more enjoyable.
17. Watch an afternoon baseball game on the deck – This is the time of year we all become fans of America’s Pastime. Gear up and enjoy the Fall classic.
18. Go for a drive – Go explore some rural roads in your region.
19. Picnic at the beach – bundle up and pack a few sandwiches for a picnic at the beach.
20. Have a bonfire – Roast some marshmallows and make s’mores as you stay warm near the fire, day or night.
21. Knit or learn to knit – If you know your way around the knitting needle get a head start on some seasonal creations. This is also a great time to pick up knitting as a new hobby.
22. Watch a football game – Whether it’s at the local high school with old friends on Friday night, in front of the TV on Saturday cheering on your alma mater or all day Sunday watching the pros, embrace the excitement and join in the fun even if it’s not really your thing.
23. Avoid a football game – see everything else on this list. 🙂
Embrace the holidays
24. Haunted house – Find a local haunted house. Maybe volunteer to join in if they’re looking for participants.
25. Pumpkin carving – Be creative and carve more than just a few.
26. Create a thanksgiving center piece – Another great creative outlet for kids and adults alike.
27. Zombie walk – Find out if local organizers have brought this event to a city near you.
28. Grow a movember moustache – Great fun for a good cause. Not a bad look either, can’t argue with this.
29. Oktoberfest – We’re all a little Irish on March 17th, so let’s find you inner German this October.
30. Get the family together – Don’t wait for Thanksgiving or Christmas to get the family together. Invite them over for no reason at all.
30 + 1. Take a trip to a winery or micro-brewer– May become necessary after you just had the family over for no reason.