This is like the extra-easy version of an already easy project that I did recently. A couple of months ago, I took a plain white mirror and covered it in strips of fabric and Mod Podge. It turned out great! So when I had another mirror that I wanted a quick update for, I was thinking along the same lines. I’ve had this sad little $1.94 mirror leaning up against the wall in our bedroom for the last 2 years. You can kinda see it here:
So three things: 1) It’s obviously a cheapo black plastic mirror. 2) I don’t feel like spending $100-$300 on a decent-looking floor length mirror when I’d rather spend that money on bedding and a rug and some accessories and lighting and, and, and…. 3)I could never see my head in the mirror so I couldn’t tell if my head looked good with my outfit. It’s a real concern. It is.
I decided to make it look a little less cheap-looking for now and then hang it up to make it more functional.
I put it down on the floor on top of some paper.
A few bricks held it up and made it a little easier to work with.
I taped off the mirror to avoid getting any Mod Podge on there. Instead of fabric strips, I used this fun ribbon I found on sale for $1 at Michael’s this week. It’s even easier than the fabric just because it’s less cutting and it’s already got a finished edge.
It took two lengths of this particular ribbon to cover the width of the frame and then I coated the whole thing in Mod Podge. I did this on the top and bottom, then let it dry for an hour or so before coming back to trim off the edges on an angle to make kind of a mitred corner.
I did the same thing for the two sides and let it dry a bit more. This project probably only takes about 15 minutes of working time, but because of the drying time, it took me most of an afternoon to complete.
When it was all dry I hung it up on the wall!
It’s not perfect, but it still looks pretty darn cute for a $1.94 mirror that I was seriously considering just replacing now that I’m trying to have a more presentable bedroom.
I was worried it was going to be too bold for my simple farmhouse room, but the effect is actually pretty subtle in the context of the whole room.
And there you have it! Another DIY project checked off the list in my quest to de-grossify the master bedroom!
It’s getting there!
If you want to see the progress, here’s where we started, here’s how I took care of the closet doors, and here’s how the room looks all pretty and painted now!